Ban Ki-Moon Tasks Nigeria On Credible Elections, Reminded Politicians On Peace Accord

No Comments

Ahead the general election, the United Nations Secretary General, Mr Ban Ki-Moon, on Wednesday, called on political leaders and other stakeholders, in the country to support the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), to enhance free, fair and credible elections.

Ban Ki-Moon, who spoke through the Under Secretary of United Nations Political Department, Jeffrey Feltman, during a consultation visit to the national chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Adamu Mu'azu, in Abuja, stressed the importance of Nigeria in the UN and the forthcoming general election as reason for the visit.

"The Secretary General of UN asked me to come to Nigeria to join his special representatives to West Africa, Ibn Chambas, to talk with Nigerians over the country's important role in United Nations and Nigeria's forthcoming elections.

"We want to determine the level of challenges Nigeria is having and along with support from its neighbour to contain the terrorist Boko Haram," he added.

According to him, "I have had a series of meetings with political leaders, government leaders, civil society leaders and security officials. I have been very reassuring with what I have heard about the commitments of Nigerians to transparent, free, fair, credible democratic election in March 28.

"I have noted on behalf of the UN Secretary General the commitment of Nigerian political leaders in the January peace accord," he said.

Feltman added that the visit afforded him the opportunity to compare note with the national chairman of PDP, Alhaji Mu'azu.

Responding, Mu'azu told newsmen that the delegation of Ban Ki-Moon had a fruitful discussion with the party, adding that the delegation had discussed with various stakeholders of the Nigeria political groups and government functionaries to find out "our level of preparedness for the March 28 election.

"For me, I have given him the assurance of my party, and of our government to partake in the elections."

Powered by Blogger.
back to top