My Tenure Ends January 4, I Am Eager to Return to Class, Says AAUA VC

No Comments
Contrary to widespread speculations of possible extension of his tenure as Vice Chancellor of Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko, Ondo State, Nigeria, Professor Femi Mimiko, on Monday, disclosed that he would not stay in office beyond January 4, 2015.

Prof. Mimiko made the disclosure at the post-confab reception held in his honour by the University.

Prof. Mimiko, who appreciated those clamouring for extension of his tenure because of their conviction that he had done well, however, stated the reasons why such a call was out of place.

He said, "First, there is the need to protect the legal framework for the appointment and tenure of Vice Chancellors as laid out in our laws. Second, we must seek to nurture institutions rather than individuals. Third, for those who are persuaded that I should stay on because I had done well, the truth is that they wouldn't have had an idea of my own modest capacity if I hadn't been allowed to serve as VC because somebody had to be kept on for doing good job.

"Fourth, there is no end to the work of a University, indeed of any organization. So, even if you give me 10 more years, there would always be something still asking to be done at the end of the 10th year. Fifth, what I had was a five-year plan for the University, which I sold to the Council/Senate Selection Committee at the interview sessions it had with all the candidates in late 2009. That is the programme I have tried to implement assiduously since January 4, 2010 when I resumed as VC. I did not and still do not have plan for a sixth or seventh year.

"Sixth, and perhaps most importantly, distinguished ladies and gentlemen, I just want to move on! My tenure ends on January 4, and under no circumstances am I going to be on this seat on January 5, 2015. I am eager to return to class."

Prof. Mimiko urged the University Community to trust God to get the right person to take over the administration of AAUA after him.


Thanks

Powered by Blogger.
back to top