It’s official! Rio Ferdinand signs for QPR

No Comments

Queens Park Rangers have confirmed that former England and Manchester United captain, Rio Ferdinand, has signed a one-year deal with the club.

Ferdinand announced in June, that he was leaving Old Trafford after making 454 appearances for the Red Devils, winning six Premier League titles and the Champions League in 2008.

The defender has now chosen to continue with career with QPR, who recently gained promotion back to the top flight.

"QPR was the first professional club to ever sign me. There are great memories for me here – for my family," he told the club's official website.

"I spoke to Harry and [chairman] Mr [Tony] Fernandes at length. I think they both looked me in the eye and knew that I still have something to offer – that I had a genuine desire to come here and play football.

"I had a lot of offers from all over the world – some in places with a better climate than here. But the draw for me was to play in the Premier League and back here where it all started.

"It's not about money – I had loads of more lucrative offers available to me. I still feel I've got something to offer and I'm excited about helping this club cement its place in the Premier League."

QPR manager Harry Redknapp, who has previously worked with the Ferdinand at West Ham, expressed his delight to be reunited with the player.

"I really couldn't be more pleased," he gushed. "Rio's a fantastic player and a great professional – I'm delighted we've been able to bring him here.

"I signed Rio as a 14-year-old. He was class on the field and off the field then, and he's continued in that manner throughout his career.

"During his time at Manchester United, he was the best defender in Europe, if not the world.

"To bring him to QPR – when he's still got so much to offer in terms of his quality, class, experience and know-how – is a remarkable coup for the club."


Thanks

Powered by Blogger.
back to top