Tuesday, March 11, 2014
Alison-Madueke said this at the 2014 budget defence of the ministry and its parastatals before the House of Representatives Committees on Petroleum Resources (Upstream and Downstream) and Gas.
According to her, there is a strange rumour that the Ministry of Petroleum Resources is going to announce an increase in the pump price of petrol.
"I said categorically that we have no plan to increase the pump price of petrol anytime in the near future,'' she said.
She noted that the development had only helped to instigate hoarding and diversion of petroleum products.
The minister said the ministry would flood the country with petroleum products next week.
"It was quite obvious that there was a hitch in supplies about a week ago and that had been remedied now,'' he said.
She warned that any filling station caught in the diversion of petrol, be it private or government-owned would be sanctioned accordingly.
The minister, who decried inadequate funding of the ministry, said that it was the intention of the ministry to consolidate on its achievements in spite of the challenges.
"We will continue to bring quality investments to the petroleum sector,'' she said.
Meanwhile, the Chairman, House Committee on Petroleum Resources Upstream, Rep. Muraina Ajibola (PDP-Oyo), has urged the minister to ensure that petrol is available to Nigerians.
On his part, Dakuku Peterside (APC-Rivers), said that the ministry required enough funding because of its importance to the country's economy.
He enjoined the minister to judiciously utilise the little allocated to the ministry.
The sum of N61.9 billion was proposed by the ministry and its parastatals in the 2014 budget. (NAN)
It was learnt that governor Suswam had alongside some journalists, Speaker of the State House of Assembly, Terhile Ayua, the Benue state Commissioner of Police, Adams Audu and his team, soldiers, and other security personnel embarked on an assessment tour of communities that were recently invaded by the Herdsmen on Daudu-Gbajimba road.
FOB learnt that on getting to Uikpam-Mbabai, the Governor and his team discovered that the marauders had attacked and pulled out of the community that very morning, after razing down houses, barns and beheading over thirty persons whose remains laid lifeless in several houses and huts.
It was gathered the military personnel on the tour decided to pull out on the ground that they were not briefed to travel with the team to Gbajimba.
Their decision to return however did not stop the Governor who insisted on making the trip to Gbajimba without the military personnel.
It was while the Governor's convoy was heading to Umenger village, a distance of about 20km from Daudu that the team discovered that the herdsmen had completely taken over all the villages on that axis, grazing and looting the property of the locals who had deserted their homes.
One of the journalists who went with the governor told FOB that the convoy however ran into a fresh attack at Tse-Akenyi village where fire was still raging in several houses in , while the attackers continued with the looting of the property of their victims.
Suswam, while addressing the community lamented the endless attacks on the people of the state by Fulani herdsmen.
A statement signed by the Permanent Secretary, Administration, Mallam Mohammed Sa'ad, said two of the affected officers, Dahiru Gomina and Garba Kayari, worked at the e-payment department of the state's Accountant-General office.
The remaining two, Dauda Ali and Elam Sule, the statement said, worked with the Post Primary School Management Board.
It also announced the replacement of the Executive Secretary of the Post Primary School Board, Mallam Ayuba Njidda with Mrs Bilkisu Khalid.
"Nyako has directed the Ministry of Education to re-assign the executive secretary, while the affected officers remain suspended until investigations are concluded." (NAN)
Kalu, former governor of Abia State, and a strong political opponent of Obasanjo, disclosed this in a lecture he delivered at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, UNN.
Speaking on the topic, "Youths Empowerment and Good Governance", he pointed out that there had been no checks and balances in the presidency from 1999 till date.
Kalu noted that his problem with Obasanjo started in 1999 when he single handedly financed the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, lending the party N500 million which he borrowed from the defunct Hallmark Bank.
He explained that Obasanjo insisted that the then PDP National Chairman, Alhaji Gamade should not pay back the money.
He said, "as if that was not enough, the former president closed Slok Airlines as it landed Enugu Airport without explanation, shut down Hallmark Bank, then I knew, the problem has begun".
The former Governor said that payment of the N500 million had remained his problem with Obasanjo till date, saying that he was arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, immediately he stepped out as the governor of Abia State for alleged money laundry.
Dr Kalu pointed out that despite all the setbacks, Slok group of companies has not less than 13, 000 in it's pay roll and plans to employ up to 25, 000 Nigerians by the next two years, stressing that youths unemployment was the biggest social problem in Nigeria.
He noted with disdain that it was only in Nigeria that thousands of graduates remain unemployed years after graduation, saying that institutions get licensed without commensurate provision for employment upon graduation.
Earlier in an opening remarks, the Vice Chancellor of the University, Prof. Bartho Okolo, who was represented by the Deputy Vice Chancellor Academic, Prof Polycarp Chigbu said that unemployment rate in Nigeria stood at 23.9 percent, which implies that every 30 persons out of 100 were unemployed.
According to reports, the very lucrative deal was signed earlier this year with the theme of the campaign created for them.
"It's an honour to be part of this," delectable actress, Genevieve Nnaji has reportedly said over the endorsement deal while Mikel Obi said "I'm very happy to have an opportunity like this to inspire young Nigerians to be the best they can be. Life is not always a bed of roses, so we all have to learn to make the most of it even in the midst of the struggles that we might face."
This is contained in a statement issued on Tuesday in Abuja, by Mr Olisa Metuh, the party`s National Publicity Secretary.
The congress, according to the statement, was earlier scheduled to hold on March 12.
Metuh said the postponement was to allow party members participate in the on-going continuous voter registration and verification of registration of voters by INEC.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that the PDP Screening Committee had cleared 13 out of 16 aspirants to participate in the primaries ahead of the governorship poll slated for June 21.
Sen. Victor Ndoma-Egba, the Chairman of the screening committee, presented the committee's report to the party's leadership in Abuja on March 10.
Ndoma-Egba said Sen. Bode Olowoporoku, Mr Peter Obafemi and Mrs Bosede Dada, were disqualified from contesting the election.
He said that Olowoporoku could not provide evidence of tax clearance certificate and a court judgement overturning his expulsion from the party.
He said that Dada could not provide evidence of payment of membership dues, tax clearance certificate, West African School Certificate, the minimum qualification for all aspirants.
The chairman said that Obafemi was disqualified because he had no NYSC discharge certificate.
He said that aspirants who felt the committee did not meet their aspiration had the opportunity of going to the Appeal Panel which was also constituted on March 10.
Those cleared are to contest the poll are Mr Ayo Fayose, former governor of the state, Mr Oluwadare Bajide, retired Navy Capt. Caleb Olubolade, former Minister of Police Affairs and Prince Adedayo Adeyeye.
Others are Adeyanju Sunday, Erelu Ogundipe, Abiodun Aluko, Adewale Aribisala, Oladeji Omoyeni, Olubenga Aluko, Oluropo Ogunbolude, Dr Omolara Adubiaro and Ajayi Ayodeji (NAN)
FOB gathered that the girl reportedly committed suicide Monday afternoon.
Sympathizers who trooped to the scene in their numbers stood speechless as nobody could adduce reason behind the alleged suicide, considering the age of the deceased.
A resident, who expressed utter shock over the incident told FOB that she saw the girl full of life in the morning.
"I am terribly surprised because I I saw that girl playing with other children when I was going to the market in the morning.
"I wonder what will make a girl of eight to commit suicide. Another thing that surprises me is that the two legs of the victim are on the ground, which is not normal when one commits suicide, the legs should be hanging up.
"I urge the police and relevant security agencies to investigate that suicide, even the rope on the neck of the victim is not strong enough to kill her.
"If you look at that rope, you will understand what I am saying. So, I think there is a cover-up here; the police investigation will unravel the real circumstance behind the death", she said.
Meanwhile, Mr David Ajibo said the victim, daughter of his brother in-law, was living with him.
According to him, "This girl has been staying with us since her father died. I am shocked; I don't know what to say; only God knows what happened.
"She was hale and hearty when I left the house in the morning and I wonder what will make a small girl of eight to commit suicide".
When contracted, the spokesman of the Enugu State Police Command, Ebere Amaraizu, who confirmed the incident to FOB said "the police have commenced investigations into the sudden and unnatural death that occurred on 10/03/14 at about 3.20pm at Ofulonu Nsukka, where a little girl of about eight years hanged herself dead in the bathroom.
"Corpse of the deceased is now deposited at Bishop Shanahan Mortuary at Nsukka just as investigations are intensified to unravel the circumstances surrounding the incident".